The mission of the Office of Research Computing is to provide university-wide support for research computing. Institutionally, it reports to both the VP for Information Technology and the VP for Research, and as such is well-positioned to play a coordinating role for the many varied aspects of research computing, including:
- Providing pre-award support for computationally oriented research proposals.
- Providing on-campus infrastructure to support a heterogeneous collection of research computing equipment.
- Providing infrastructure support for the ever increasing demands by funding agencies to maintain accessible repositories of research data.
- Providing the infrastructure to access to off-campus computing facilities.
- Providing post-award support for computationally oriented research proposals.
- Providing licensing support for research-oriented software.
The strategy for accomplishing this is to leverage off the existing support for research computing by providing a coordinated and coherent infrastructure that connects existing research computing activities that have developed over time in a somewhat ad hoc and opportunistic manner.